Friday, November 16, 2012

Music: Porgy and Bess

I was going to write on the important historical English property statutes. However, today in Property, my teacher began singing different songs from Porgy and Bess. Yes, I said my teacher was singing in class. It's not the first time, nor do I expect it to be the last.

Of course, as this is not my field of expertise, there is very little that I personally can offer on the topic of the play that the Wikipedia link cannot tell you. However, I do own the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong album and can tell you that it is superb. In order to listen to album by Fitzgerald and Armstrong, you need to look up each individual song because no-one has uploaded the entire album to YouTube. The following are some links to a few of the popular songs on the Fitzgerald and Armstrong album:

Summertime
It Ain't Necessarily So
Bess, You is My Woman Now
A Woman Is A Sometime Thing

However, YouTube does have a link for the singing parts of 1959 film that was produced in 70mm by Samuel Goldwyn. YouTube has the entire 1959 film if you want to watch it. 

Summertime is the best known song overall, and many artists have made their own covers of the song. These artists include The Zombies and Billie Holiday. If you are into a more modern performance, The Rosie Show has a  2012 Broadway rendition that may be up your alley.

This just might be good enough music to inspire a property outline.

No comments:

Post a Comment